Introduces the principles of energy consumption and the sustainable design and construction of residential structures. Focuses on evaluating the energy efficiency and sustainability of a traditionally constructed home using current design analysis software and, upon reviewing the data, recommending a new sustainable design strategy and evaluating the impact on the home’s performance. Examines a variety of current and proposed energy sources with regard to residential construction, geographical location, efficiency, and sustainability. Also covers standard and sustainable construction materials, methods, and residential terminology.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Types of Energy
- Residential Energy Consumption
- Sustainability of Resources
- Traditional Construction Materials and Methods
- Energy Efficiency, Green Constructoin, and the Healthy Home
- Sustainable Construction Materials and Methods
- Energy Codes
- Energy Analysis
- Sustainable Design
- Explain the different types of energy produced for use by a common residence.
- Describe energy consumption of a typical residence.
- Discuss the efficiency and sustainability of different sources of energy.
- Identify traditional construction materials and methods.
- Explain the difference between sustainable design, energy efficiency, and the healthy home. (What is green?)
- Discuss various energy codes and their application to residential design.
- Identify sustainable and energy efficient construction materials.
- Discuss the difference between sustainable and non sustainable construction materials.*
- Analyze an existing residence for energy efficiency. *
- Demonstrate the ability to improve the energy performance of a residential structure.*
Assessment and Requirements
- Units Tests
- Lab Projects
- Final Exam