Business, Entrepreneurship, and Professional Development
Instructor Contact Hours Per Semester
77.00 (for 15-week classes)
Student Contact Hours Per Semester
77.00 (for 15-week classes)
ACT-101 and ACT-116
Catalog Course Description
Continues the study and drawing of residential construction documents. Emphasizes completing architectural details according to current building codes and accepted industry practice. Typical details include building sections, wall sections, door and window details, stair details, site plans, and other typical residential construction details. Utilizes AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) software to complete the details.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Core Course Topics
- Course introduction
- Detailing as part of construction documents
- Reading an engineer’s scale
- Drawing site plans
- Building codes
- Zoning ordinances
- Annotation and dimensioning
- Sheet layout
- Plotting drawings to the correct scale
- Stairway codes and terminology
- Stairway layout and detailing
- Drawing interior elevations
- Reading and selecting items from product catalogs
- Kitchen layout and design
- Bathroom design and building codes
- Drawing door and window details
- Drawing section views
- Drawing construction details
- Developing and drawing a building section
Core Course Learning Objectives (Separated)
- Develop and draw a building site plan.
- Read an engineering scale.
- Describe terminology related to various construction details.
- Plot drawings to the correct scale in paper space.
- Layout and draw stairway details according to codes and specifications*.
- Translate design sketches into construction details.
- Develop a kitchen layout using product catalogs*.
- Develop and draw interior elevations*.
- Annotate construction details according to industry standards.
- Dimension construction details according to industry standards.
- Utilize building codes as they relate to residential drawings.
- Develop a balanced sheet layout.
- Apply CAD skills in the preparation of architectural drawings.
- Develop and draw construction details.
- Develop and draw a building section.
- Develop and draw door and window details.
- Discuss current construction methods used in residential building.
- Discuss the relationship of construction details to the overall set of construction documents.
Assessment and Requirements
Assessment of Academic Achievement
The following assessment tools will be common to all sections:
- Lab assignments
- Multiple-choice question tests
- Multiple-choice question final exam
- Student attendance
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
- Provide, in writing, a request to the department indicating the proposed rationale for requesting credit and describing the type of college-level learning upon which the request is based.
- Submit a portfolio of work and documentation to substantiate the request.
- Schedule an interview with the appropriate instructor(s) to discuss the request and portfolio.