Explores how to develop a commercial building for an assigned building site and use. Emphasizes the transition from design to construction documents. Covers site planning, design development, and a partial set of construction documents with plans, elevations, sections, and details.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Description and analysis of site survey information
- Review and analysis of zoning ordinance requirements
- Working with the “team” concept
- Coordinating building requirements with natural site amenities and legal restrictions
- Development of site/building information into a submittal for site plan approval
- Presentation for site plan approval to the planning commission
- Analysis and coordination of construction materials and processes
- Design development for pre-construction document preparation
- Development and coordination of construction documents for:
- Site plan and details
- Foundation plan and details
- Roof framing plan and details
- Roof plan
- Floor plan
- Room finish schedule, door and frame schedule and interior elevations
- Reflected ceiling plan and schedules
- Exterior elevations
- Building sections
- Wall sections and details
- Enlarged plan details and schedules
- Analyze and organize site parameters for building placement
- Analyze a zoning ordinance to reflect legal restrictions for site development
- Design a site plan suitable for submittal for site plan approval
- Coordinate information throughout the development process with team partners
- Asses appropriate materials, finishes, appliances and equipment for a specific building
- Translate and coordinate design drawings into usable construction documents*
- Produce properly formatted construction documents
- Interpret and apply building codes as they relate to commercial design and construction
- Apply CAD skills in the preparation of documents
Assessment and Requirements
Assessment is based on performance of periodic lab projects. All assessment of student achievement is left to the discretion of the individual instructor.
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
- Provide, in writing, a request to the department indicating the proposed rationale for requesting credit and describing the type of college-level learning upon which the request is based.
- Submit a portfolio of work and documentation to substantiate the request.
- Schedule an interview with the appropriate instructor(s) to discuss the request and portfolio.