A course for classroom teachers which emphasizes the integration of art into the general classroom procedures to enhance learning. Explores how to develop an understanding of the child’s mental and creative growth through art, an awareness of art, and an awareness of art in its various contemporary and cultural contexts.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To use art as a discipline for learning at the elementary level and to understand the nature of art as a human activity and properties of various art forms with a focus on visual expression.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Classroom Activities.
- Line( contour, value) linear perspectives.
- Expressive elementary projects.
- Nature of the creative act.
- Two and three dimensional art media for personal expression.
- Artists and art styles from a variety of cultures and traditions.
- Art and design tools, skills, vocabularies, procedures, and principles.
- The art experience as a discipline across the curriculum.
- Successful Teaching Techniques
- Getting and holding attention.
- The establishment of a positive classroom atmosphere.
- Assessing student progress.
- Learning styles, developmental levels, social and cultural backgrounds, and special needs and preferences of the young learner.
- Appropriate art material for young learners.
- Interpret the nature of the creative act and action as expressed through visual art activities.*
- Formulate a variety of two and three dimensional art media and apply their creative use for personal expression.
- Explain and design activities to stimulate young people in thinking, feeling, and acting in a creative manner.
- Identify, compare, and contrast the skills, procedures, vocabularies, tools, and design principles of art.
- Identify, compare, and contrast the role of artists throughout time and from a variety of cultures and traditions and incorporate them into elementary classroom learning.
- Identify, compare, and contrast between learning styles, developmental levels, social and cultural backgrounds and special needs and preferences of elementry students.
- Design a curriculum in art experiences appropriate for young people.*
Assessment and Requirements
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department