Covers automatic transmissions and transaxles. Emphasizes the operating principles, construction, adjustments, troubleshooting, and maintenance of automatic transmissions. Also examines clutches, bands, solenoids and torque converters.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Dry Friction Plate Clutches and Related Elements
- Underdrive/Overdrive Gearing
- Gear Ratios and Gear Designs
- Selected 4, 5 & 6 Speed Manually Shifted Transmission
- Selected 4 & 5 Speed Manually Shifted Transaxles
- Automatic Transmission Fundamentals
- Selected 3, 4 & 5 Speed Automatically Shifted Transmissions
- Electronic Transmission Controls
- Drive Shafts, Half Shafts and Universal Joints
- Disassemble and reassemble a selected automatic transmission.
- Measure internal wear tolerances for selected transmission components.
- Diagnose low pressure pump problem.
- Diagnose “no up-shift” problem.
- Adjust automatic transmission shift linkage.
Assessment and Requirements
Measurable objectives will be evaluated by the instructor based on accuracy and proficiency and completion of assigned tasks. Homework, class participation, lab activities, quizzes and tests will be used as criteria to assign the student’s final earned grade for this class.
Students must take notes on demonstrations, carefully read and analyze assigned course materials and perform exercises to determine their competence in servicing modern power transmission systems.