Delves deeper into topics covered in AUTO-140 with additional experiences in the service and repair operations related to current electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Emphasizes electronic control systems.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Mechanical Power Trains
- Hydraulic Control Circuits
- Automatic Transmission Fundamentals
- Electronic Transmission Controls
- Inspection and Diagnosis of Selected Transmission Problems
- Use digital multi-meter to check circuits for opens, shorts and grounds.
- Analyze electronic transmission control circuits.
- Measure transmission hydraulic line pressure.
- Perform operational check of torque converter clutch.
- Perform operational check of shift solenoids.
- Use scan tool to obtain trouble codes and data from transmission control module.
- Diagnose shifting and engagement problems (no shift/engagement, soft shift/delayed engagement, harsh shift/engagement)
Assessment and Requirements
Lab workstations, quizzes and a written final examination. Measurable objectives will be evaluated on the basis of instructor evaluations.
Students must take notes on demonstrations, carefully read and analyze assigned course materials and perform exercises to determine their competence in servicing electronically controlled transmissions.
No Text Required. Hand-Outs provided.