Emphasizes language skills that are commonly applied to documents constructed or edited in the business environment. Covers business grammar, proofreading skills, and parts of speech in proper context.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Parts of Speech
- Define the parts of speech.
- Use the parts of speech in proper context.
- Punctuation Rules
- Use commas, semicolons, colons, hyphens, dashes, quotation marks, exclamation marks, and apostrophes.*
- Sentence Errors
- Identify construction errors such as fragments, run-ons, and comma splices.
- Apply the decision-making process to correct errors in sentence formats.*
- Capitalization Rules
- Apply capitalization rules for proper nouns, organizational terms, titles, names of geographic places, titles of publications, and trade names.*
- Number Usage
- Apply the rules for the writing of numbers in business documents.*
- Subject and Verb Agreement
- Apply the correct subject and verb agreement.
- Business Document Formats
- Compare and contrast letter styles.
- Discuss and apply business document formatting.
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, homework, and/or class participation.
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
A student seeking Credit for Prior Learning will be evaluated through testing.