Introduces the basics of appropriate behavior and communication in a business environment. Discusses personal, interpersonal, and group behaviors as well as etiquette, culture and diversity issues, interview skills, and effective problem solving techniques. Also examines how to use various communication styles in interactions with superiors, peers, subordinates, and clients.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Intrapersonal Behaviors
- Develop personal goal statements.
- Exhibit good workplace attire and grooming.
- Identify positive work habits, and explain how they affect relationships with others in the workplace.
- Practice self-management (time and stress management).
- Discuss good personal financial habits.
- Interpersonal Behaviors
- Demonstrate good listening skills.
- Discuss culture and diversity in the workplace.
- Personal On-the-Job Behaviors
- Evaluate etiquette.
- Examine self-image and positive appearance.
- Demonstrate good verbal communication skills used in the workplace.
- Demonstrate good non-verbal communication skills used in the workplace.
- Discuss organizational structures.
- Group Behavior and Team Building
- Construct and deliver a presentation in a group.
- Identify good group and/or team behaviors used on the job.
- Demonstrate effective personal, interpersonal, and group behaviors used in the workplace.
- Job Search and Interview Skills
- Discuss interview techniques.
- Discuss proper resume content and formatting.
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, homework, observations of student behavior, and class participation.