Course integrates the interior design process into large-scale residential and commercial bath design projects focusing on functional and aesthetic elements and the integral relationship to user needs, incorporating human factors and environmentally responsible design.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This studio course will consist of bath projects wherein students will conceptualize and design luxury residential baths and commercial restrooms incorporating up-scale fixtures, products and materials creating state-of-the-art environments. Each project will require extensive research, creation of detailed programming documents, and an assessment of the mechanical and structural systems. Plumbing and electrical fixtures and equipment must be reviewed and implemented with energy and resource conservation being of utmost importance. These projects must meet the physiological and psychological needs of its users, comply with ADA guidelines and promote health, safety, and welfare of the public in general. The materials, products, finish selections and mechanical systems will also promote healthy indoor air quality and positively impact the environment in general.
- Space plan existing residential and to-be-built commercial interior environments.
- NKBA format for mechanical plans, floor plans, elevations, specifications and installation documents for residential baths and commercial restrooms.
- Basic residential and commercial building codes for fire, life and safety, ADA codes and environmentally responsible fixtures, finishes, equipment and appliances.
- Current bath design trends, innovations, products and resources.
- Environmentally responsible design: installation techniques, manufacturers, LEED credits, energy, resource, and water conservation.
- Universal Design Principles, ADA guidelines and ageing-in-place as they relate to residential and commercial bath environments.
- Residential and commercial bath design formats to comply with industry standards in preparation for certification exam.
- Further develop technical computer drawing skills using state-of-the-art Kitchen/Bath software.
- Calculate and prepare cost estimates, budgets, and bath product specifications.
- How to further develop oral, written, and graphic communication skills conveying aesthetic and functional concepts and construction documentation of design solutions for bath design projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to critically analyze design problems through the conceptualization, development, and creation of aesthetically pleasing, functional solutions to large-scale residential and commercial bath design projects.
- Exhibit proficient technical and graphic communication skills using hand-drafted and/or computer generated construction and mechanical plans, floor plans, elevations, specifications and installation documents for large-scale bath projects using industry standard bath guidelines and recommended accessible bath guidelines.
- Produce construction and mechanical plans in NKBA format for residential and commercial baths incorporating plumbing, electrical, lighting and ventilation systems.
- Effectively utilize resources and academic research to assess current bath products and design trends.
- Critically assess the environmental impact of specifying various cabinets, appliances, fixtures. and finishes for residential and commercial bath interior design projects.
- Critically assess and apply universal design principles and ADA guidelines to residential and commercial bath design projects.
- Display proficiency in the preparation of hand-drafted or computer generated schematic drawings in compliance with industry certification exam format.
- Exhibit advanced technical computer skills using state-of-the-art bath design software.
- Accurately estimate costs, budget, and specify bath products.
- Illustrate excellence in oral, written, and graphic communication skills in the critical analysis, assessment of user needs, aesthetic and functional concept development, production of construction documents and presentation of final bath design solutions.
Assessment and Requirements
- Programming binder.
- Technical construction packets with schematic drawings.
- Story and presentation boards for residential and commercial projects.
- Written aesthetic and functional design solutions.
- Oral presentation of residential and commercial bath projects.
The following criteria will be required for each of the semester bath projects:
- Concept Development
- Written Design Concepts
- Bath Design Guidelines
Technical Construction Packet—Hand-Drafted or Computer Generated
- Floor Plan
- Mechanical Plan
- Construction Plan
- Installation Plan
Storyboards and Presentation Boards
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department