Provides practical instruction and hands-on operation of tractor-trailers at a closed driving range. Topics include specific driving maneuvers such as turns, intersections, stop and start, curves, railroad crossing, gear usage, and rigs. Safety procedures are demonstrated and practiced. Course builds on learning objectives in CDL-177 and CDL-178.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Road skills
- Vehicle pre-trip inspection
- Perform pre-trip inspections.
- Vehicle coupling/uncoupling
- Couple and uncouple vehicles.
- Vehicle shifting
- Properly shift vehicles (Bobtail only).
- Properly shift vehicles pulling trailers.
- Basic skills maneuvers
- Perform basic forward stop maneuvers.
- Perform basic straight-line backing maneuvers.
- Perform basic right hand turn maneuvers.
- Perform 90 degree alley dock maneuvers.
- Park vehicles and perform post-trip inspection
- Properly park vehicles.
- Perform post-trip inspections.
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, in-class activities, and outside assignments.
Required course materials on file in department office.