Provides field experience operating a tractor-trailer in a closed-driving range where designated topic areas must be performed. This course emphasizes preparation for the Commercial Driver License examination; pre-trip vehicle inspection procedures, safe driving practices, basic vehicle control, on-road test, and post-trip vehicle inspection.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Pre-trip inspection
- Basic Vehicle Control
- On-road driving
- In-route inspection
- Post-trip inspection and report
- Perform a pre-trip inspection for vehicle safety
- Demonstrate proper method to put vehicle in motion while operating on public highways and in city traffic
- Perform accepted method to handle vehicle at highway speed and retain vehicle in proper
- Demonstrate adequate amount of air pressure to bring the vehicle to a smooth, safe stop
- Perform proper shifting gears for manual transmissions including basic method for shifting up, basic procedures for shifting down, shifting before starting down a hill, before entering a curve, multi-speed rear axles and auxiliary transmissions, automatic transmissions, and retarders.
- Demonstrate successful maneuvering of vehicle on city streets, public highways and backward motion
- Complete post-trip vehicle inspection and report
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, in-class activities, and outside assignments.
Required courses materials on file in department office.