Introduces the installation, configuration, and management of web server software. Offers hands-on experience in installing and administering the dominant web server software platforms: Apache web server and Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS). Covers web server security, performance monitoring and tuning, virtual hosting, and supporting database and dynamic content. Intended for network, server, or web administration; web development; or computer information system students.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Operating system and server platform selection
- HTTP protocol
- Web server installation
- Web server security
- Virtual hosting
- Dynamic content
- Database connectivity
- Web Server performance monitoring and tuning
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Analytics and webmaster tools
- Web server hosting options
- Explain operating system and server platform selection factors
- Explain details of the HTTP protocol and how it works
- Install several of the industry dominant web servers
- Describe the various techniques available to secure a web server.
- Configure virtual hosting.
- Configure a web server with dynamic content and database connectivity.
- Describe various techniques available to monitor and tune a web server.
- Explain details of the Domain Name System (DNS) and how it works.
- Setup web server analytics and webmaster tools.
- Describe web server hosting options.
Assessment and Requirements
Assessment of academic achievement may include (but is not limited to) exams, quizzes, homework, and laboratory assignments.