A capstone course covering the design, implementation, and support of a Local Area Network (LAN). Examines basic LAN design methods and tools, Network Operating Systems, LAN implementation considerations, LAN hardware, and network troubleshooting techniques. Includes the design and implementation of a LAN in a lab setting complete with file servers, system backups, wireless and wired clients, printing, Internet Access, configuration of switches, VLANs, routers, VPNs, and firewalls.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Basics of LAN Design
- Customer Needs Assessment
- Network Design
- Implementation Plan and Timelines
- Install and Configure all Server and LAN components
- Network Testing & Evaluation
- Implementation Project Presentations
- Analyze customer requirements for a new Local Area Network (LAN).
- Design a LAN solution detailing structured cabling components, switches, routers, desktop and server hardware, network and client operating systems.
- Create a technical project plan and timeline for implementation.
- Install, configure and fully implement your network design.
Assessment and Requirements
- The above objectives will be verified by their design proposal.
- The working implementation of the designed LAN.
- The group presentation made explaining their design.