Emphasizes advanced rhythmic complexity and movement combinations, in depth practice of specific styles of Jazz dance, and proper body conditioning for the dancer. Also offers an overview of careers in dance and an introduction to choreography.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Advanced Movement Vocabulary
- Identify advanced Jazz movement vocabulary from a demonstration.
- Jazz Styles
- Execute all given combinations and phrases in various Jazz dance styles.
- Turns and Locomotor Movement
- Execute turns and locomotor movement with correct technique.
- Identify skeletal-muscular structures and explain their function as they apply to dance.
- Body Conditioning
- Self evaluate fitness and body condition as it applies to dance skill.*
- Dance Careers
- List and explain dance career options.
- Execute accurate musicality with all given movement.*
Assessment and Requirements
- Written exam: Identify advanced Jazz movement vocabulary from a demonstration.
- Movement exam: Execute all given combinations and phrases with correct technique.
- Movement exam: Execute all given turns and locomotor movement with correct technique.
- Written and oral exam: Label skeletal-muscular anatomy and explain their functions as they apply to dance.
- Class assignment: Pre-fitness test for muscle endurance, strength, flexibility and balance. Analyze fitness level according to a given criteria. Create goals and a plan for improvement. Post test and self assess improvement.
- Class assignment: List and explain dance career options.
- Movement exam: Execute all given movement with accurate musicality.
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department