A discussion of the Siemens PLC hardware and the Siemens HMI device is given. Step by step programming instructions are then explained to use the Siemens hardware and Siemens HMI device as a system. The student builds on the information discussed and learns both programming skills as well as troubleshooting skills through both lecture and lab situations. An extensive hands-on approach to programming and troubleshooting of the Siemens PLC/HMI system.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To prepare the student to be able to interpret a Siemens PLC/HMI PLC system in a minimum amount of time. Analyze Siemens PLC/HMI programs and troubleshoot.
- Hardware and software introduction.
- The Scan Cycle.
- STOP, STARTUP, and RUN mode.
- Data Types.
- Project or Portal View.
- Downloading/Uploading programs.
- Input and Output Addresses.
- Methods of Adding an HMI Panel.
- HMI and PLC Tags.
- Design PLC programs from scratch.
- Design HMI Screens from scratch.
- Math Statements.
- HMI Functions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in entry-level PLC programming.
- Design a Siemens PLC program to solve various control problems.
- Construct a useable HMI interface to allow a user the ability to operate various parameters.
- Evaluate a Siemens program and determine how it operates.
- Troubleshoot a non-functioning Siemens PLC program.
Assessment and Requirements
- Section tests.
- Software program writing.
- Additional assessment of student achievement may include assignments, quizzes, and exams.
- A written final exam.
- A programming final exam.
- A final PLC/HMI project.
- Final project.