Use of computational tools, such as Excel, Python, and MATLAB, to solve engineering problems. Topics include data analysis, data visualization, algorithm development, programming, computational analysis, and introductory problem solving in engineering.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Introduction to programming
- Describe algorithm, sequencing, and order in programming
- Write programming syntax to solve a stepwise simple problem
- Recognize common programming errors and develop strategies for debugging code
- Define types of data, including numeric and strings, and list types of variables
- Data analysis
- Describe introductory statistics functions such as frequency, summarizing, relations, and regression lines
- Write functions in Excel to analyze data such as average, sum, texts from dates, etc.
- Import datasets to Python and clean the data
- Create data frame manipulation and summarize the data in Python
- Build simple machine learning regression models in Python
- Create and manipulate matrices and vectors in MATLAB
- Import data to MATLAB, manipulate and summarize data, and export results
- Write syntax for conditional statements and loops to summarize and categorize data
- Data visualization
- Plot 2D data using Excel and select appropriate formatting for charts
- Write syntax in MATLAB to create 2D and 3D plots
- Create interactive plots to evaluate data with respect to different categories or changes in inputs
- Problem solving using numerical methods
- Set up mathematical equations to find a solution for a simple mechanical/electrical system
- Apply “goal seek”, “what if analysis” and “solver” in Excel to solve a system of mathematical equations
- Solve problems involving linear equations, root finding, curve fitting, error properties, and numerical precision
- Create integrated functions in MATLAB to find solutions for mathematical equations
- Engineering team solutions
- Work in teams to formulate a complex engineering problem into a system of mathematical equations
- Create a set of functions in MATLAB to provide a solution for a complex engineering problem
- Communicate project outcomes effectively using visual and written means
Assessment and Requirements
- A series of assignments for manipulation of data in Excel, programming in MATLAB, and reporting
- Term project to find a solution using numerical methods for a real-world problem
- Class presentation and written reports
For this course to satisfy the Computer Technology General Education Requirement, it is required to cover the following items in addition to the core topics listed above:
- Computer computation capacity (computer processor and required memory for computation), cloud computation, input and output, and storage devices.
- File management tasks in various locations (e.g. cloud and desktop) that include finding (e.g. using search techniques), organizing (e.g. using/creating folder structures on various drives), saving, zipping, and printing files.
- Submission of files through an online course platform, contacting instructors, and attaching files.
- Use of search engines to proficiently locate reliable information on the internet, search internet for instructions on how to debug MATLAB and Python codes.
- Create a term project report (e.g. edit, navigate, copy/paste, find/replace, headers/footers, insert pages, insert illustrations, spell check, tables, lists, etc.), format (e.g. font styles, margins, alignment, etc.), and configure (e.g. print/save to different formats, use templates) a document.
- Create various presentations to illustrate project and lab work outcomes (e.g. slide layouts, adding multimedia, animations, transitions, table/charts, etc.), view (e.g. slide sorter, notes page, etc.) and configure (e.g. print/save to different formats, use templates) a slideshow.
- Computer Technology