Examines the process of layout and fabrication of standard sheet metal fittings and how to construct standard fittings. Also covers sheet metal hand and power tools, and proper safety protocols.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This core class will be applied to Heating and Cooling/Power Engineering Basic Certificates, Advanced Certificates, or Associate Degree.
- Sheet Metal Careers
- Sheet Metal Working Tools and Machinery
- Sheet Metal Shop Safety
- Sheet Metal Types
- Materials of the Sheet Metal Trade
- Fasteners for Sheet Metal
- Patterns and Cutting Metal.
- Punching, Drilling, and Riveting
- Folding Edges and Making Seams
- Turning, Burring, and Raising
- Forming, Crimping, Beading, and Grooving
- Drawing and Notching Simple Patterns
- Parallel Line Development
- Demonstrate procedures for sheet metal layout.
- Demonstrate by fabricating HVAC industry's most popular sheet metal fittings.
- Apply safety protocols related to the sheet metal craft, and apply them in the lab.
- Demonstrate the ability to use sheet metal hand tools.
- Demonstrate the use of sheet metal power tools and forming machinery.
Students will learn how to prepare, layout, and then make paper patterns before making metal fittings. Esses and drives will be standard on all fittings.
Assessment and Requirements
The following assessment tools will be common to all sections:
Multiple-choice question tests
Multiple-choice question final exam
Due to the nature of this course, attendance is mandatory.