Covers basic technical skills for installing and starting up an HVAC system. Emphasizes practical installation and start-up techniques. Provides hands-on simulations of projects that require knowledge of sheet metal construction and installation, basic electricity, principals of refrigeration, and the procedures and safety steps for effectively installing and starting up HVAC systems. Extensive laboratory activities.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This course gives the student hands on HVAC applications before entering the working experience. At the completion of this course, the student outcomes will be measured by installation procedures performed in lab, use of hand tools safely, classroom quizzes from lecture notes and final exam.
- Lab Safety
- CO Safety and Testing
- Combustion Air
- Chimney Liners
- Residential House Plan and Duct System Print Reading
- Gas Pipe Sizing and Installation Procedures
- Duct Design Considerations
- Review Home Plan and Duct Prints
- Air Distributions
- HVAC Start-Up Procedures
- Demonstrate the ability to install heating and cooling equipment, using blueprints plans.
- Demonstrate the ability to use heating and cooling hand tools safely.
- Solve heat loss/gain equations.
- Analyze equipment sizing, chimney liner sizing, duct and gas pipe sizing.
- Demonstrate systematic approach procedures using manufacture installation instructions, air flow balancing, troubleshooting of heating units refrigeration circuits, CO and combustion air problems.
Assessment and Requirements
Methods for measuring achievement of objectives:
- Laboratory activities and performance exercises will be done where students will demonstrate an understanding of practical applications. These will make-up fifty percent (50%) of the course grade. Important: Student MUST stay for lab or absence will be recorded. Review by instructor, criteria review.
- A written final exam will be given which will represent twenty-five percent (25%) of the course grade.
- Class participation accounts for 25% of the total grade.
Lab Exercises: 50%
Class Participation: 25%
Practice Final: 25%
Assignments: Assignments must be completed and turned in on time. Late work will not be accepted without prior approval from the instructor.
Due to the nature of this course, attendance is mandatory. If you cannot make it to class, make early arrangements with the instructor or call and leave a message on the voicemail system or email.