Prepares students to be multi-level service technicians for residential HVAC equipment. Emphasizes hands-on troubleshooting and maintaining residential total systems. Covers a combination of heating and air-conditioning systems including system design and layout, equipment selection, duct sizing, venting, air balancing and adjustments, air quality control, psychometrics of air conditioning systems, applied installation, and repair of total systems. Also discusses electrical diagrams.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Student must be able to combine both heating and cooling into one system of thinking related to a total system.
- Student must be able to combine both heating and cooling into one system of thinking related to a total system
- Heating systems residential and commercial.
- Cooling systems residential and commercial.
- Total system troubleshooting
- High and Low voltage controls.
- Writing service reports.
- Explain basic air conditioning fundamentals.
- Explain basic refrigeration principles and components.
- Demonstrate skills related to electrical principles and controls.
- Demonstrate and apply principles of air distribution and psycho-metrics.
- Calculate load calculation.
- Demonstrate the principles and operations of residential HVAC systems.
- Demonstrate ability to work on residential HVAC systems and perform concise HVAC service reports.
Assessment and Requirements
- Skills Sharpening Sessions will be given throughout the semester. Midterm score represents 25% of the course grade.
- Laboratory activities and performance exercises will be done where students will demonstrate an understanding of practical applications. These will make up 25% of the course grade.
- A written final exam will be given that represent 25% of the course grade.
- Class participation accounts for 25% of the total grade.
Due to the nature of this course, attendance is mandatory. One must be in class to participate. Leaving lab early will count as an absence. Lab will not be made up at the end of the semester. 4 absences will result in a failing grade for the course.