An advanced-level course covering service installation of light commercial refrigeration and air conditioning units. Covers installation, repair, and replacement of major and minor components, and troubleshooting of terminal air conditioning units, rooftop units, ice machines, walk-in coolers, and retail store cooling equipment. Discusses usage of electrical schematic diagrams, manufacturers’ service information, service tools, equipment, and instruments. Extensive laboratory activities.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This course is designed for the advanced certificate/degree programs for those who need exposure to real field installation and service conditions.
- Commercial refrigeration related to food preservation.
- Commercial refrigeration electrical circuits.
- Refrigeration safety.
- Compressor and condensing unit installation.
- Ice machine orientation.
- Refrigeration equipment controls.
- Refrigeration system piping.
- Refrigeration heat load estimating.
- Refrigeration system troubleshooting.
- Describe food-borne illness in order to avoid food poisoning.
- Demonstrate in labs and on exams basic electrical safety.
- Demonstrate Refrigerant Recovery/EPA 608 requirements.
- Describe the concepts of series parallel circuits used in Pump Down Systems.
- Develop a Mechanical Outline of the unit, showing the location of major and minor components and showing the refrigeration cycle and systems connected with it.
- Create Electrical-Pictorial (wiring diagram) and Ladder (elementary diagram), showing conduits, components, and functional circuits, both power and control.
- Describe Sequence of Operation: List all steps for starting and shutting down and for basic operation of the unit.
- Arrange Troubleshooting Functional Breakdown: Identify all systems within the unit which will be isolated or checked during troubleshooting operations. List components within each system.
- Evaluate Planned Service Check-Sheet on refrigeration units.
- Demonstrate use of Trane's Refrigeration Manual for sizing piping for a commercial air conditioning remote system.
Assessment and Requirements
The following assessment tools will be common to all sections:
- Lab assignments
- Multiple-choice question tests
- Multiple-choice question final exam
- Class participation
Due to the nature of this course, attendance is mandatory.