Examines varietal wines from many broad geographical areas, including vintage and specialty wines. Covers how to identify alcohol, acid, sugar, and tannin in wines. Also discusses the challenges of wine service in today's hospitality industry.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- The Vineyard: Soil to Harvest
- Primary Major Grape Varieties
- Tasting Wine: Sensory Components
- Wine Aroma Wheel
- Wine Styles of Various Countries
- Business of Selling and Serving Wines
- Describe how grapes are grown for wine production.
- Discuss the grapes, regulations and wine styles of the major wine production countries.
- Discuss the regions and differences of wines by country.
- Evaluate the various aromatic compounds of grapes according to acidity, tannin, fruitiness, sweetness and dryness.
- Explain the major considerations when selecting wines.
- Discuss the aging and storing conditions for bottles wines.
- Evaluate different varieties of wine according to their price.
- Identify different methods of selling wine in hospitality operations.
Assessment and Requirements
- Class Assignments: 25%
- Attendance: 25%
- Final Exam: 50%
- 90% - 100% A
- 80% - 89% B
- 70% - 79% C
- 60% - 69% D
- 0% - 59% E