Surveys career opportunities in the hospitality industry. Presents hospitality as a single yet inter-related industry, emphasizing problem-solving tools rather than answers, and points out trends both past and present. Explores marketing, franchising, food service operations, hotel operations, and tourism.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Characteristics of the Hospitality Industry
- Long-term Prospects for Tourism
- Sociocultural Impact of Tourism
- Hotel Classifications
- Hotel Department Functions
- Key Cruise Industry Players
- Classifications of Restaurants
- Front of House Operations
- Managed Service Segments
- Hotels and Real Estate
- Theme Parks
- History of the Gaming Industry
- The Convention Industry
- Event Planning
- Define hospitality and the philosophy of the hospitality industry.
- Trace the growth and development of the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Identify the major kinds of food service, hotel and restaurant operations.
- Identify a theme for a casual restaurant that is pervasive in the design of their menu, décor, and website.
- Prepare an income statement for a food service operation.
- Define service in terms of guest experience and the operation’s performance.
- Identify professional organizations within the field; explain purposes and benefits.
- Outline the organization, structure and functional areas in various hospitality organizations as a perspective for later courses in menu planning, purchasing, food production and service, food and beverage controls, management, etc.
- Evaluate career opportunities through participation in field trips and guest speakers in class.
- Discuss and evaluate industry trends as they relate to career opportunities and the future of the industry.
- Identify the major environmental concerns facing the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Discuss and evaluate industry trade periodicals.
Assessment and Requirements
Total Possible Grade Points: 1300
- Class Participation - 20 points per session: 300 points
- Chapter Assignments - 20 points each: 300 points
- Internet Assignments (4): 100 points
- Personal Mission Statement: 50 points
- Travel Paper: 50 points
- Chapter Tests (100 pts x 4 tests): 400 points
- Final Examination (comprehensive): 100 points
- 90% - 100% A
- 80% - 89% B
- 70% - 79% C
- 60% - 69% D
- 0% - 59% E
Exploring the Hospitality Industry with on-line component, Walker & Walker (Current Edition)