Covers advanced principles of table service and managing the production dining room. Emphasizes effective management procedures and techniques including scheduling, table assignments, side work, reservations, expediting, and training of the HOSP 150 students.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Hospitality: Managing Complaints
- Hospitality: Generational Communication
- Operations Management
- POS Systems
- Wine Essentials
- Wine Terminologies, Food & Wine Pairing
- Restaurant Menu and Service
- Identify the job responsibilities and personal requirements of a dining service manager.
- Supervise a dining room.
- List the basic types of reservation systems and explain how to correctly handle reservation problems.
- Perform the duties of a host/hostess.
- Assign duties to dining room personnel.
- Interpret and analyze POS information.
- Evaluate the performance of other serving staff personnel.
- Describe the ways to handle customers with complaints and special needs and demonstrate ways to handle them.
- Prepare and serve a variety of tableside dishes.
- Discuss the manufacturing and composition of a variety of wine, beer, and spirits.
- Explain the procedures for opening and serving wine.
- Describe how wine labels differ depending on where the wine is grown or produced.
- List the four (4) conditions that impact how wine turns out.
- Explain the difference between Champagne and Sparkling Wine.
- List the four (4) major categories of grapes and give an example of each.
- Explain how wines get their color.
- List the most common terms used to describe wine.
- Describe methods of determining a guest's age.
- Identify the traits of an intoxicated guest.
- Explain how to refuse to serve an intoxicated guest.
- Describe the legal requirements of responsible alcohol service.
- Achieve ServSafe Alcohol Certification.
- Achieve FDRP Wine Steward Associate Certification
Assessment and Requirements
• 11 Weeks of Service (11 x 30 pts each): 330 points
• Classroom Quizzes (9 x 10 pts each): 90 points
• FDRP Chapter Tests (7 x 15 pts each): 105 points
• Special Event Work: 8 Hours: 60 points
• Written Paper: 50 points
• FDRP WSA Certification Exam: 50 points
Total Possible Grade Points: 685
• 90% - 100% A
• 80% - 89% B
• 70% - 79% C
• 60% - 69% D
• 0% - 59% E
Federation of Dining Room Professional online training and certification Serv-Safe Alcohol training and certification Guest Service Gold training and certification