Teaches the elementary education student how to incorporate the various visual and performing arts into everyday elementary education curricula. The course will cover the fundamental and formal elements, the major periods, styles and philosophies, as well as the functions and processes of the visual and performing arts, and how to effectively employ those creative processes through collaboration, communication, cooperation, and interaction in the elementary classroom. This is an interactive course where the instructor, guest speakers, and students present topics. Knowledge will be applied through small and large group discussions and projects. Students complete assignments both during and outside of class. Class participation, completion of assignments, quizzes, and attendance are all factored into the grading process. At least one field trip will be planned as an integral part of the course.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Elements of music
- Elements of art
- Elements of dance
- Elements of drama
- Special needs students in the fine arts
- Technology in the arts
- The fine arts in education
- Identify, compare, and contrast the basic components of music (rhythm, melody, harmony, tone color, and texture).*
- Identify,compare, and contrast the formal elements of art (line, color, shape, space, perspective, dimension, etc.).*
- Identify, compare, and contrast the basic elements of drama.*
- Identify, compare, and contrast the basic elements of dance.*
- Incorporate the creative processes inspired by the performing arts into an active learning environment.*
- Incorporate the arts into everyday classroom activities using various learning technologies (computers, web-based learning activities, software, etc.).*
- Create appropriate lessons to engage all students, including the special needs student, in creative and collaborative activities involving the arts.*
- Explain the major periods and styles in art and the performing arts.
- Organize and assess lesson plans incorporating the arts.*
- Demonstrate the importance of the creative and performing arts as a developmental and motivational process.*
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed using quizzes, short papers, and individual and group projects.
McDonald, Nan L., Handbook for K-8 Arts Integration: Purposeful Planning Across the Curriculum, Pearson, 2010.
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- Category 5: Humanities and Fine Arts