Focuses on methodology utilized in the estimating and budgeting practices of the kitchen and bath industry using cost analysis of materials, components, appliances, fixtures and finishes.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To prepare students to conduct in-depth cost analysis of materials and labor costs for kitchen and bath installations. This course will further student’s ability to critically analyze and compare materials as they relate to energy usage, safety and promotion of public welfare. Further it will enable students to develop professional project management skills, calculate material quantities and costs, order cabinetry, fixtures, equipment and products, research environmentally responsible materials and finishes, and supervise the installation of residential kitchen and bath projects. Properly estimating budgets will assist designers in critically assessing appropriate products and finishes that meet not only aesthetics and desired functionality of the space but also adhere to inherent budgetary constraints.
- Kitchen and bath cabinetry construction, dimensions, materials and finishes, door framing, styles and hardware
- Cabinetry nomenclature
- Calculate quantities and estimate product and material costs for finishes, fixtures, appliances, materials and finishes
- Cost of purchasing various ktichen/bath products including: installation, maintenance, energy usage, and environmental impact.
- Budgeting and estimating methodologies
- Scheduling and construction timeline for kitchen and bath projects
- Supervision and managment of construction projects
- Environmentally resonsible kitchen and bath design
- Exhibit basic knowledge of kitchen and bath cabinetry construction, dimensions, materials and finishes, door framing, styles and hardware.
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry standard cabinetry nomenclature.
- Analyze residential kitchen and bath floor plans and mechanical plans to calculate quantities and prepare detailed material and product specifications.*
- Compare materials for kitchen and bath installations as they relate to cost, energy usage, safety and user needs.*
- Illustrate budgeting and estimating skills in kitchen and bath construction projects through written documentation.
- Employ organizational skills through the creation of a written timeline for the evolution of a kitchen or bath project from initial client contact through project completion.*
- Evaluate how the installation process impacts an interior design professional’s ability to work effectively with contractors and subcontractors.*
- Compare aesthetic and functional characteristics of various green/sustainable kitchen and bath products, materials, construction and installation methods.
Assessment and Requirements
Assignments and Exercises:
- Quizzes and exams
- Field Research—Kitchen and Bath Showrooms
- Kitchen or Bath Project Schedule
- Estimate Cost for Kitchen or Bath Project
- Calculation Assignments (quantities and costs for Kitchen/Bath flooring, counter-tops, cabinetry)
- Quizzes and Exams
- Document field research to multiple kitchen and bath showrooms
- Prepare detailed kitchen or bath project schedule
- Client initial interview through punch list and project completion
- Identify and schedule contractors and subcontractors
- Specify products and delivery dates
- Create a timeline for demolition, rough construction, installation, and finish carpentry
- Prepare a cost estimate for the above specified kitchen or bath project
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department