A studio course wherein students apply advanced critical thinking and highly developed design skills to a national kitchen and bath design competition.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This course provides students with a capstone experience applying design skills and advanced critical thinking to a national kitchen and bath design competition. Students will compete in the annual NKBA kitchen and bath (or equivalent) student design competition. Student projects must be in strict compliance with rules and regulations governing these competitions and are required to submit thoughtful, creative and insightful design solutions. These competitions set forth rigid standards including timely submission of documents and sample boards. Following assignment of the instructor’s final grades, projects will be submitted to the competition Sponsors for judging. Juried scores and evaluations are returned to each student thereby allowing the student to gain constructive feedback on their relative proficiency in professional kitchen and bath design skills. This methodology enables each student to acquire insight into their design strengths and weaknesses from a national accrediting agency.
- Concept development, research, sketches, bubble diagrams, cabinetry options, countertops, flooring, and appliances supporting design concepts to meet competition criteria.
- Competition criteria for aesthetic and functional kitchen/bath design solution statements.
- Competition requirements for construction plans, mechanical plans, and floor plans.
- Mechanical and construction legends.
- NKBA specifications and cabinetry nomenclature.
- Student design competition requirements, deadlines, and competition rules.
- NKBA competition presentation boards.
- Critically analyze design problems in order to develop creative, aesthetically pleasing, functional solutions to kitchen and/or bath design problems outlined in competition program.*
- Illustrate through participation in student design competition, advanced graphic communication skills in completed construction and mechanical plans, floor plans, elevations, specification documents, and sample boards.
- Demonstrate through participation in student design competition, an advanced understanding of residential kitchen and bath plumbing, electrical, lighting and ventilation systems.
- Exhibit through participation in student design competition, superior ability to critically analyze, assess. and solve existing kitchen and/or bath design problems meeting user needs and proscribed criteria.*
- Illustrate advanced drafting skills in the preparation of hand-drafted or CAD generated schematic drawings in compliance with student design competition format.
- Demonstrate, through participation in student design competition, advanced skills in written communication of aesthetic and functional design solution statements and product specification documents.
- Exhibit superior time management and organizational skills through participation in a national kitchen and bath design competition.*
Assessment and Requirements
- Complete criteria to enter student kitchen and/or bath design competition
- Project in strict compliance with guidelines for the student design competition
Apply for student association membership to enter national student kitchen and/or bath student design competition (If required by competition sponsor)
Participation in national kitchen and/or bath student design competition
Studio projects to be in strict compliance with competition rules including formatting, timely submission, and inclusion of all required written documents, drawings, finish boards or other criteria set forth by the sponsor of the competition. Projects meeting all competition criteria will be submitted to competition sponsor for judging. (Substantial Monetary Awards Possible)
NKBA Resource library textbooks from previous courses
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department