Offers practical work experience within the student’s program of study through a 160-hour internship in the kitchen and bath industry. Must have completed most of the coursework in the Kitchen and Bath Design program before applying for this course.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This course will offer students an opportunity to employ all aspects of technical information and skills acquired in Kitchen and Bath studio courses to a practical, supervised work environment in the kitchen and bath industry. Students desiring to take the Associate Kitchen and Bath Designer certification exam will need to fulfill this internship under the guidance of a Certified Kitchen or Bath Designer approved by an INTR advisor for a minimum of 160 hours. To monitor student compliance and substantive progress, periodic meetings on campus with instructor are required.
- Standard business practices in the kitchen and bath industry.
- Professional services offered by kitchen and bath designers.
- Pricing, profit margins, mark-up and record keeping.
- Apply kitchen and bath interior design skills in the workplace environment.
- Good customer service.
- Develop an understanding of the business practices in the kitchen and bath industry.
- Recognize and identify professional services offered in kitchen and bath design.
- Assess and appraise standard pricing, profit margins, mark-up and record keeping used in the kitchen and bath industry.*
- Employ good customer service and evaluate its impact on business/client relationships in the kitchen and bath industry.*
- Employ professional oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Illustrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of project ordering, scheduling, subcontracting, installation, and supervision of kitchen and bath projects.
- Select kitchen and bath cabinetry, develop specifications using industry nomenclature.
- Apply skills obtained from 160 hours of practical, hands-on kitchen and bath interior design experience.
Assessment and Requirements
- Actively participate in classroom discussions.
- 160 Hour Internship in Kitchen/Bath industry.
- Document evidence of all work performed during internship.
- Provide written evaluation from employing supervisor.