Business, Entrepreneurship, and Professional Development
Leadership and Team Building
Instructor Contact Hours Per Semester
47.00 (for 15-week classes)
Student Contact Hours Per Semester
47.00 (for 15-week classes)
Catalog Course Description
Explores how to develop and improve supervisory skills. Covers effective leadership techniques, how to identify and evaluate various leadership styles, and development of teambuilding skills.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Core Course Topics
- Communication and Listening Skills
- Evaluate methods of communication, and identify effective and efficient communication channels.
- Analyze effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Discuss effective listening skills.
- Critique approaches to recognize and communicate sensitive work-related issues.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Define and assess the critical thinking process.
- Examine methodologies for determining and solving business and human resource problems and opportunities.
- Building an Effective High Performance Team
- Describe the stages of team building.
- Analyze supervisory motivational techniques.
- Identify and minimize potential barriers to effective team building.
- Describe the effect of diversity on team dynamics.
- Management vs. Leadership
- Describe the differences between being a manager and a leader.
- Identify the traits and skills required to transition from a manager to a leader.
- Compare and contrast leadership styles and appropriate applications.
- Keys to Successful Supervision
- Differentiate the different forms of leadership.
- Describe the different types of ethical dilemmas.
- Assess how to handle business decisions ethically.
- Successful Workplace Relationships
- Assess the behaviors required to build successful relationships.
- Compare and contrast motivation theories to create a productive work environment.
- Formulate strategies to understand, support, and utilize diversity.
- Discuss the effect globalization has had on leadership.
- The Role of Human Resources
- Describe what Human Resources can do to foster change.
- Discuss how Human Resources can support critical decision making.
- Analyze the legal requirements associated with hiring activities.
- Decision Making
- Compare and contrast types of decisions.
- Explain the systematic approach to decision making.
- Strategic Planning and Goal Setting
- Define the elements and steps in the strategic planning process.
- Change in the Modern Organization
- Discuss the role and results of change.
- Analyze the diversity imperative in change.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Describe why creativity and innovation are important in business.
- Compare and contrast intrapreneurship and entrepreneurship.
- Organizational Structure and Design
- Analyze different organizational designs.
- Compare and contrast different forms of business ownership.
- Working in a Virtual World: Technology as a Way of Life
- Describe how technology affected work during. the industrial revolutions.
- Analyze the challenges of working in a virtual world.
- Organizational Controls
- Describe the control process.
- Analyze how organizational control effect ethical behavior.
- Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Compare and contrast the different forms of sustainability.
- Describe corporate social responsibility.
Assessment and Requirements
Assessment of Academic Achievement
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, assignments, case studies, presentations, class participation, group activities, and/or role playing.
Satisfies Wellness Requirement