Explores how to develop and improve supervisory skills. Covers effective leadership techniques, how to identify and evaluate various leadership styles, and development of teambuilding skills.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Communication and Listening Skills
- Evaluate methods of communication, and identify effective and efficient communication channels.*
- Analyze effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Discuss effective listening skills.
- Critique approaches to recognize and communicate sensitive work-related issues.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Define and assess the critical thinking process.*
- Examine methodologies for determining and solving business and human resource problems and opportunities.*
- Building an Effective High Performance Team
- Describe the stages of team building.
- Analyze supervisory motivational techniques.*
- Identify and minimize potential barriers to effective team building.
- The Supervisor's Role and Responsibilities
- Differentiate the traits and skills of effective and efficient supervisors.*
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of being a supervisor.
- Identify the traits and skills required to transition from employee to supervisor.
- Keys to Successful Supervision
- Evaluate supervisory styles.
- Examine the processes to achieve productivity through delegation.*
- Successful Workplace Relationships
- Assess the behaviors required to build successful relationships.*
- Discuss creating a productive work environment.
- Formulate strategies to understand, support, and utilize diversity.*
- Discuss the processes for managing problem employees.
- Successful Strategies for Hiring, Appraising, and Terminating Employees
- Describe the interview process.
- Analyze hiring processes that result in hiring the best candidate.*
- Analyze the legal requirements associated with hiring activities.*
- Examine techniques for evaluating and interviewing potential hires.*
- Discuss an effective performance appraisal process.
- Evaluate termination processes and the related legal environment.
- Decision Making, Priority Setting, and Time Management
- Compare and contrast types of decisions.*
- Evaluate, assess, and review the importance of time management skills.
- Explain the importance and methodology for establishing priorities.
- Goal Setting and Planning
- Evaluate goal setting and its role in the planning process.*
- Leadership Styles
- Compare and contrast leadership styles and appropriate applications.*
- Change in the Modern Organization
- Discuss the role and results of change.
- Analyze how to convert change into opportunity.
Assessment and Requirements
Students will be assessed through tests, quizzes, assignments, case studies, presentations, class participation, group activities, and/or role playing.