Explores how to increase machining efficiency and quality of workmanship. Individualized instruction helps the student overcome deficiencies in machining on the lathe and vertical milling machine. Emphasizes tool sharpening, set-up, and safety protocols.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Safety review.
- Preparation for Machining, Tolerance.
- Metals – Machinability – Speed & Feed.
- Application of Cutting Tool Materials.
- Sharpening Cutting Tools.
- Mill Cutters, Feed & Speed.
- Tram Heads & Align Vises & Nest Work-pieces.
- Layout Tools.
- Taps, Drills, and Reamers.
- Hand Tools.
- Fasteners & Threads.
- Basic Heat-Treat Processes.
- Implement proper safety practices regarding machine tools.
- Recognize proper set up for basic machine tool operations.
- Determine proper speeds and feeds for machining.
- Choose proper tooling for operations to be performed.
- Apply proper gaging instruments for tolerances specified.
- Process basic parts to completion.*
- Analyze completed part accuracy.*
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Student Interview and Portfolio Review