Introduces plumbing and pipe-fitting materials joining. Topics included are mechanical joints/pipe-cutting, brazing with turbo torches and oxyacetylene, soldering with LP and MAPP gases, plastic PVC pipe-joining, flared fittings, plastic fusion welding, and dielectric fittings. Students are required to study the theory behind these methods and perform hands-on labs.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Mechanical Joints
- Pipe soldering: LP and MAPP Gases
- Turbo Torch Soldering and Welding
- Oxyacetylene brazing and welding
- Cutting various types of piping material
- Dielectric Fittings: Copper vs Blackpipe/Galvanized Pipes
- Flared/Compression Fittings
- Demonstrate the cleaning and soldering of copper pipes; brazing and silver soldering with a turbo-torch.
- Demonstrate how to cut and thread pipes; braze, weld, join and cut various pipes.
- Identify and use tools for various types of piping materials.*
- Demonstrate PVC pipe joining and the use of glues and heat fusion.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with 2 dissimilar piping metals using dielectric fittings.
Assessment and Requirements
The following will be used to assess student's academic achievement:
- Labs 70% and above throughout the semester