Explores how to utilize the State of Michigan Plumbing Code to solve real-life problems (International Plumbing Code). Covers study habits and processes necessary to interpret and apply the code. Also helps prepare students for entry- level positions in the plumbing, multi-skilled maintenance, repair, and apprenticeship fields.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To provide the knowledge and skills to understand and abide by the established plumbing codes.
- Code regulations, terms and history
- Pipe joints and connections.
- Drain systems and storm drain systems.
- Plumbing system venting, traps interceptors and backflow preventers.
- Plumbing fixtures.
- Potable water supplies.
- Plumbing materials and fixtures.
- Plumbing-pipefitting inspections, tests and maintenance.
- Interpret building plumbing and pipefitting diagrams using accepted conventions.*
- Identify which article applies to a given situation.
- Select the correct material for a plumbing or pipefitting job.*
- Cite articles and sub-articles from the code that apply to specified problems.
- Size a plumbing system according to the code.*
- Understand the content and structure of the Michigan Plumbing Code (or most recent version).
- Fast reference the Code book for relevant information.
- Identify all sections of the Code by reference numbers and titles.