Presents models of community organizing including social action, grass roots empowerment, leadership development, team building, and advocacy.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Introduction to Power and Power Mapping
- Describe the various types of power.
- Demonstrate techniques of power analysis.
- Describe a power map for a specific area or issue.
- Conduct a classroom demonstration of power mapping research.
- Communication Skills
- Demonstrate active listening in meetings and in project development.
- Implement effective public speaking.
- Utilize effective verbal communication and public presentations during campaigns and events.
- Describe diverse sub-cultural communication styles and methods.
- Events, Campaigns, and Projects
- Outline the development of events and campaigns.
- Describe the foundations of project development and management.
- Leadership and Team Building
- Describe the various types of leadership.
- Identify members' strengths and weaknesses in team building.
- Describe roles within functional teams.
- Identify group interests among constituents.
- Career Exploration
- Describe the of stages of careers (associate, bachelor's, master's).
- Develop a personal learning plan.
Assessment and Requirements
Neighborhood Observation, Assessment of Meetings, Analysis of Communication, Exams on Readings and Class Discussion, Project Facilitation and Development
- Social Sciences
- Civil Society and Culture - U.S. and Global
- Category 4: Social Sciences