Provides an overview of fire alarm systems. Reviews fire alarm system requirements from the International Building Code and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 72 Standard for fire alarm and signaling systems. Discusses the basics of detection, notification, suppression, and cabling requirements for residential and commercial applications.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Fire alarm systems.
- Fire detection.
- Fire notification.
- Fire suppression.
- Detecting devices.
- National Electrical Code standards.
- NICET Requirements.
- Compare and contrast basic fire alarm terms: Detection, Notifcation, and Suppression.
- Analyze Building Code requirements for Fire Alarm systems.
- Identify various types of detection devices.
- Identify various types of notification appliances.
- Classify suppression components.
- Explain basic wiring methods per National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 72 and National Electrical Code (NEC) standards.
- Explain system testing and acceptance requirements.
- Explain National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) requirements.
Assessment and Requirements
- Tests will be given throughout the semester. Tests represent 30% of the course grade.
- A mid-term exam will be given which will represent 30% of the course grade.
- A final exam will be given which will represent 40% of the course grade
Texts, handouts, and/or workbooks will be determined by the TAE Department.