TAEL-275: Residential Wiring
TAEL-276: Commercial Wiring
TAEL-277: Industrial Wiring
or Instructor permission
Advance course designed to assist students preparing to take the Electrical Journeyman or Master Electrician examinations within the State of Michigan. Includes an overview of Chapters 1 through 9, Article 220 load calculations, Article 430 motor calculations, conductor and raceway sizing, the Electrical Code Rules Part 8 and the Skilled Trades Regulation Act 407 of 2016. The method of instruction is classroom lecture utilizing PowerPoint presentations.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
Help prepare students for the Electrical Journeyman assist students preparing to take the Electrical Journeyman or Master Electrician examinations within the State of Michigan.
- Branch circuit distribution.
- Electrical grounding.
- Michigan laws and rules.
- National Electrical Code.
- Michigan part 8 rules and requirements.
- System grounding.
- Equipment grounding.
- Explain the purpose of the National Electric Code.
- Describe various types of branch circuits as defined by the NEC.
- Determine the NEC requirements for branch circuit capacities.
- Determine the overcurrent requirements for various branch circuits.
- Explain the difference between system grounding and equipment grounding.
- Define an effective ground path as defined by the NEC.
- Explain the Michigan Part 8 rules and requirements for licensure and permits.
- Explain the Michigan P.A. 217 requirements for various license levels.
- Identify basic NEC requirements for residential wiring applications.
- Identify basic NEC requirements for commercial wiring applications.
- Identify basic NEC requirements for industrial wiring applications.
Assessment and Requirements
- Tests will be given throughout the semester. Tests represent 30% of the course grade.
- A mid-term exam will be given which will represent 30% of the course grade.
- A final exam will be given which will represent 40% of the course grade
Texts, handouts, and/or workbooks will be determined by the TAE Department.