Presents the mechanisms, operation, tooling, and accessories of the lathe and milling machine. Covers precision measurements and measuring devices, basic machine tool operations, metal cutting theory, cutting tools and cutting tool materials, and cutting fluids. Emphasizes safety protocols in a lab setting.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Outside and inside micrometers: dial bore and height gages.
- Angular measurement: tool and techniques of semi-precision layout and precision layout.
- Physics of metal cutting: machinability and cutting fluids.
- Saws and sawing: drilling machines, drills, and drilling.
- High speed steel cutting tools: carbide cutting tools and operating conditions.
- Ceramic and cermet: cutting tools - polycrystalline cutting tools.
- Engine lathe parts: lathe accessories and safety protocols.
- Cutting speeds, feeds, and depth-of-cut: lathe centers.
- Facing between centers: facing operations, turning between centers, turning operations, and special lathe operations.
- Tapers and taper turning: additional lathe accessories.
- Threads and thread cutting: additional lathe machining.
- Milling machines and accessories: milling cutters.
- Cutting speeds and feeds: milling machine setups.
- Vertical milling machines: dividing heads.
Assessment and Requirements
All assessment of student achievement is left to the discretion of the individual instructor. Final grade will be a combination of quiz grades and attendance.
Texts, handouts, and/or workbooks will be determined by the TAE Department.