Explores drawing, reading, and interpreting standard instrumentation and electrical drawings, diagrams, and schematics. Emphasizes using ANSI, ISA, SAMA, and IEEE standard symbols and other accepted industry protocols. Also stresses appropriate techniques in using drawings, diagrams, and schematics to troubleshoot and locate equipment.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- Introduction: diagram and drawing standards.
- Symbols library and drawing standards.
- Drawing standards and sources.
- ISA and SAMA standards: process and instrument drawings, lab b loop tracing.
- Instrumentation drawings and diagrams: electrical diagrams.
- Wiring diagram and loop diagram.
- Piping diagrams: hydraulic diagrams.
- Blueprint reading: control valve sectional (lab).
- Sheet metal dawings: ventilation systems.
- Building drawings: locating components in drawings.
- Plant floor: locating component in plants.
Assessment and Requirements
Methods for measuring achievement of objectives:
- Tests will be given throughout the semester. Tests scores represent 50% of the course grade.
- Laboratory activities and performance exercises will be done where students will demonstrate an understanding of practical applications. These will make up 25% of the course grade.
- A written final exam will be given which will represent 25% of the course grade.
Texts, handouts, and/or workbooks will be determined by the TAE Department.