Offers lecture and practice in the public performance of a full-length comedy, drama, or musical. Students are provided opportunities in the areas of acting, assistant directing, stage management, house management, and other appropriate production functions.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
This course is designed to offer practical experience in the process of play production, either as an introduction to some aspect of the process for the student or as a way of focusing on a particular aspect of the process. Specific elements of application are presented by the instructor in lecture, lecture/demonstration, laboratory experience, culminating in approximately eight (8) public performances.
- Production Meetings
- Director's Concept
- Character Analysis
- Prompt Books
- Scenic Concepts
- Detailing Technical Elements
- Dress Rehearsals
- Evaluate dramatic literature for full-length play production.*
- Apply research practices to auditions, casting, rehearsals, and performances appropriate for full-length play production.*
- Demonstrate advanced acting techniques appropriate for full-length play production.*
- Employ advanced management skills appropriate for full-length play production.*
- Apply advanced technical theatre skills appropriate for full-length play production.
- Practice advanced run crew skills appropriate for full-length play production.
*Critical Thinking Objective
Assessment and Requirements
An Rubric that evaluates a student's:
- ability to meet deadlines.
- ability to work well with others.
- effectiveness of communication with instructors and fellow students.
- ability to work independently as well as in small groups.
- knowledge and understanding of playscript in relationship to director’s and designer’s concepts.
- knowledge and understanding of playscript in relationship to rehearsal/technical rehearsal/performance process.
- quality of procedural process participation: meetings, notes, work calls, lectures, technical rehearsals, performances, and strike.
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department