Title when registering
Contact Hours Per Week
5 (for 15-week classes)
MATH-165 OR MATH-175 with a C or better OR a satisfactory score on the placement test.
For students planning to pursue a course of study involving a concentration in mathematics. Topics include limits, continuity, the derivative, differentiation of algebraic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions, applications of the derivative, antidifferentiation, and the definite integral. Numerical, graphical and algebraic approaches are used whenever possible. Credit cannot be earned for both MATH 153 and 180. Requires a graphing calculator, with the TI-84 Plus series recommended. Also requires access to an online homework management system.
- Category 3: Mathematics (College Algebra Track)
General Education Categories
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Other Exam Details
A student may receive credit for MATH-180 by earning one of the minimum scores from the following exams:
- At least 50 on the CLEP Calculus exam, or
- At least 3 on the Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus AB test,
- At least 3 on the Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus BC test,
- At least 5 on the International Baccalaureate-Standard Level (IB-SL) Mathematics Exam (IB-SL-based credit awarded only after completion of MATH-183 with a grade of C or higher), or
- At least 5 on the International Baccalaureate-Higher Level (IB-HL) Mathematics Exam.
School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM): 313-845-9632, email@example.com, Health Careers Education Ctr, Room: G-122
Requirements are subject to change. The information represented here is effective starting Fall 2020 and applies to the current catalog year. If you were admitted prior to this year, please check your requirements under the My Progress section of HFC Self Service.