Provides hands-on technical skills required in workplaces through computer- and laboratory-based practice, and a core of related courses such as physics, mathematical applications, and introduction to engineering. Teaches architectural CAD/drafting and building construction methods and materials. Laboratory classes provide students with experience in construction materials, computer-aided drafting and design, cost estimating, construction methods, presentation techniques, and construction practices. Covers the principles and necessary skills of the architectural profession supported by an understanding of building construction through laboratory activities designed to provide students with a practical skill-based education. The math and physics courses ease the transfer of students to a 4-year institute for completion of a Bachelor of Engineering Technology.
- Describe the theories and principles of physics in the areas of mechanics.
- Apply standard methods of mathematical analysis including Trigonometry or Statistics, Intermediate Algebra, and College Algebra.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment in order to successfully follow an engineering design process and/or build a prototype.
- Develop knowledge of career opportunities and demonstrate the technical skills required by industry.
- Demonstrate professional ethics appropriate to the field of engineering technology.
- Prepare a series of construction documents utilizing current industry software and accepted architectural standards and techniques.
- Develop a series of design presentation drawings utilizing traditional and computerized techniques.
- Architectural CAD Technician
- Construction Services Technician
- Construction Engineering Technician
- Residential Maintenance Technician
- Design Technician
See General Education Requirements for details.
Electives: Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees require a minimum of 60 credits for graduation. Complete additional 100-level, or higher, courses to complete the requirements for this degree.