An introduction to the principles and elements of design that provide the foundation for aesthetic concepts in the interior design profession. Development of professional visual presentation techniques through the creation of interior design boards and models. Introduction to the design process and aesthetic conceptualization techniques.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To introduce students to design principles and elements as they relate to interiors. The course will also instruct students in the design process and techniques used in creating and presenting aesthetic concepts. Students will acquire technical and artistic skills necessary to produce quality presentation boards and models.
- Interior design profession and career options.
Identify various career options, educational requirements, certifications, licensing, organizations and associations for interior design professionals.
- Design vocabulary; written aesthetic concept statements and professional presentations
Employ strong design vocabulary and communication skills as they pertain to interiors, including presentation outlines and concept statements in written, oral and visual presentations.
- Principles and elements of design as they relate to interiors
Assess and critique photographs of residential and commercial interiors in professional design magazines or in digital format, identifying the elements and principles of design used by the interior designer or architect.
- Examination of acclaimed interior designers, architects and their work for the enhancement and development of students’ personal style, sophistication and creativity.
Exhibit an enhanced level of personal style, sophistication and creativity developed through critiques of a broad range of interior environments.
- Eight-step design process
Define the eight phases of the interior design process.
- Visual presentation techniques
Demonstrate an ability to create innovative, professional quality presentation boards conveying aesthetic concepts.
- Interiors sample boards, quality craftsmanship and proficiency in graphic presentation.
Employ craftsmanship and professional graphic composition in the construction of presentation boards.
- Scaled models of residential structures.
Construct a scaled model residential structure.
Assessment and Requirements
- Mid-Term and Final Exams
- Exercises and Assignments
- Concept and presentation boards
- Model building
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- Category 5: Humanities and Fine Arts
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department.