Introduces ballet movement and ballet movement vocabulary in French. Fundamental barre exercises are learned through the identification, execution, and understanding of their purpose. Students will learn technique at the barre, at the centre, and through the dance space.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To be able to, through the oral and written French word, correctly identify; pronounce; translate; state the purpose; and execute with correct technique, basic Ballet movement vocabulary.
- Identify basic Ballet movement vocabulary in French and in English from a demonstration.
- Technique and purpose
- Execute movement terms with correct technique and explain their purpose.
- Barre alignment and technique
- Self evaluate alignment and execute correct technique.*
- Movement combinations and phrases
- Distinguish and apply barre exercises to movement in combinations and phrases.*
- Major contributors
- Discuss a major contributor to Ballet choreography and/or dancing.
- Skeletal-muscular structures and function
- Apply knowledge of anatomical function to development of strength, endurance, balance, and flexibility needed for efficient Ballet technique.
- Execute accurate musicality with all basic movement vocabulary, combinations and phrases.
Assessment and Requirements
- Written Exam: movement identification in French and English translation from a given demonstration. Oral Exam: French pronunciation.
- Written Exam: state and explain movement purposes. Movement Exam: technique execution from given movement vocabulary.
- Class Log: written record of given corrections and guidance and personal evaluation of technique for self correction.
- Movement Exam: demonstrating skill and knowledge of given combinations and phrases.
- Choreographer/Dancer Presentation: oral, written, video class presentation of an artist.
- Written exam: label skeletal muscular anatomy and explain the application to dance.
- Written exam: define musical terms. Movement exam: Execute selected movement with correct musicality/rhythm/timing.
Credit for Prior College-Level Learning
Determined by department.