An advanced-level course in light commercial heating and air conditioning systems. Covers lash-up, installation, and troubleshooting of controls and control packages. Discusses possible functions, operations, and components related to pneumatic, electronic, and direct digital control (DDC) building control systems. Also addresses use of controls to optimize energy savings. Laboratory activities.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
- VVTs, VAVs, FPBs
- HVAC Fundamentals/Controls
- Control Systems/Control Principles
- Control Systems/Air Compressors
- Pneumatic Actuators/TStats
- Pneumatic Transmitters/Receivers
- Pneumatic Auxiliary Devices and Applications
- Electrical Control Systems
- BAS Systems/Interfaces
- BAS Installatins/Networking
- Control Systems/DDC
- Control Strategies/Building Maintenance
- BAS Retrofit/Building Maintenance
- Differentiate between single zone system, VVTs, VAVs, and FPBs.*
- Explain the principle behind and usage of single-zone systems.
- Explain the principle behind and usage of VVTs/controls.
- Demonstrate the principle behind and the usage of VAVs/controls.
- Demonstrate the principle behind and the usage of FPBs/controls.
- Demonstrate pneumatic systems and how various air pressure relate to the system working properly in day, night, summer, and winter modes.
- Explain relevant electrical/mechanical systems and how they work.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the set up and fuction of of digital systems.
- Compare day-occupied control operations and night-time unoccupied operations of commercial buildings.*
- Explain BAS and what systems are controlled in the commercial buildings.
Assessment and Requirements
- 25% of the grade - quizzes
- 25% of the grade - labs
- 25% of the grade - mid-term, final exam
- 25% of the grade - attendance including lab attendance