Helps advanced-level technicians prepare for the State of Michigan Mechanical Contractor License exam. Reviews rules, regulations, heating service, refrigeration service, and air conditioning service. Note: this license exam is not included in this course.
Goals, Topics, and Objectives
To help the student prepare for the State of Michigan License exams and various specialities. Much of this class is self-study.
- Residential and commercial heating-air conditioning systems.
- State of Michigan Forbes Act and Stille-DeRosset Act.
- State of Michigan Mechanical and International Fuel Gas Codes.
- Domestic and commercial refrigeration.
- Heating and cooling sheet metal.
- Heating gas piping systems.
- Heating hydronic systems.
- Refrigeration piping.
Preparation for passing the State of Michigan Mechanical Contractors Exam.
- Recite and answer the questions related to Refrigeration Systems-Heating Systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of both the Mechanical and International Fuel Gas Code Review/Laws.
- Demonstrate ability to use Michigan.gov website related to the State of Michigan Mechanical test/registration.
- Explain hydronic process piping.
- Demonstrate abilities related to appliance venting/related rules.
- Demonstrates duct design skills.
- Perform gas pipe sizing calculations.
- Explain limited heating and limited refrigeration requirements and related questions.
- Explain and be able to answer related questions to the State of Michigan Forbes Act.
The student will be given handouts for independent study along with on-line exercises to help prepare for the state test. A mid-term and final exam will be given to let the student know what areas of study/ refreshing are needed before the State of Michigan test. Lecture sessions involve an 8-hour day starting at 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and one-hour lunch. This class is designed to help the student prepare for the State of Michigan Mechanical Contractors Exam.
Assessment and Requirements
The following assessment tools will be common to all sections:
- Lab assignments
- Multiple-choice question tests
- Multiple-choice question final exam
- Class participation
Due to the nature of this course, attendance is mandatory.
Latest versions of the Michigan Mechanical and International Fuel Gas Codes. (HFC bookstore or through SMACNA)