Offers students an opportunity to express themselves creatively while developing the skills necessary to obtain employment in the kitchen and bath industry. To ensure the quality and success of this program, Interior Design faculty collaborated with the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), the governing agency accrediting kitchen and bath design programs at colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada. This certificate program requires an internship in the kitchen and bath industry.
- Develop professional kitchen and bath design presentation skills and produce high quality sample boards.
- Select appropriate interior materials and finishes for kitchens and baths through critical analysis of their properties and characteristics meeting user need and budget.
- Demonstrate proficiency in manual and CAD drafting skills in the production of basic 2-D and 3-D schematic construction drawings using National Kitchen and Bath Graphic Presentation standards.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of building codes and mechanical systems, including acoustical, electrical, lighting, plumbing and HVAC to residential and commercial kitchen and bath environments.
- Illustrate the ability to design large-scale residential and commercial kitchen and bath projects including programming documents, schematic and construction drawings, perspective drawings and presentation boards conveying well-developed aesthetic and functional interior design. concepts.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the professional practice of interior design as it relates to the kitchen and bath industry.
- Synthesize the kitchen and bath design educational experience through the development of design solutions and apply critical thinking and highly developed design skills to a national kitchen and bath design competition.
- Students employ all aspects of technical information and skills acquired in Kitchen and Bath studio courses to a practical, supervised work environment in the kitchen and bath industry.
- Kitchen and Bath Design and Retail Sales Consultant
- Kitchen and Bath Planner
- Independent Kitchen and Bath Designer
- Manufacturer's Representative
The NKBA assists in the development of the kitchen and bath program curriculum to assure the course objectives and competencies meet industry standards. The HFC Kitchen and Bath Design certificate meets the rigorous curriculum standards of the NKBA and has been designated as an NKBA supported program. Becoming a supported program provides HFC and our students more than theoretical and pedagogical advice. Additional benefits from NKBA include:
- State-of-the-art industry-standard kitchen and bath design software
- Industry research and student scholarship opportunities. Many awards are substantial.
- Extensive professional development opportunities for faculty
- Annual grants toward funding NKBA student chapter activities
- Discounted student NKBA membership dues
- Assistance for students in obtaining internships in kitchen and bath design firms
|Course name||Credit Hours|
|INTR-120: Manual Architectural Drafting for Interior Designers||3.00|
|INTR-130: Intro to CAD for Interior Design||3.00|
|INTR-187: Computer Drafting for Kitchen and Bath||2.00|