Provides a comprehensive foundation of study and practice in the areas of media production, editing, writing and management for radio, television, film, broadcast journalism, public relations, and media performance. This specialization is developed through a range of courses incorporating both theoretical classroom academic knowledge and creative hands-on use of hardware, software, studios and labs combined with real-world assignments and experience so as to provide successful students with a solid foundation for pursuing a four-year mass communication degree at a transfer institution or as a stepping stone into the field.
- Assess issues relating to media literacy and ethics using practices of media criticism.
- Demonstrate telecommunication skills including media writing, script analysis, audio and video performance, and criticism.
- Implement the use of industry-standard software and hardware to produce and edit audio and video works.
- Examine historical and contemporary issues as they apply to the legal aspects of the telecommunication industry.
- Solve problems by collaborating with team members on a telecommunication project in an ensemble writing, production, performance, editing or directing environment.
- Management: Producer, Director, or Promotions Coordinator
- Production: Video or Television Producer, Director, Camera Operator, Audio or Radio Producer or Audio or Video Editor
- Writing: Screenwriter, Script Writer, Media Theorist, Media Critic or Broadcast/News Journalist
- Talent: Radio, TV, or Voiceover Announcer, Broadcast Journalist or Performer
The purchase of minimal support materials including headphones, binders, a flash drive, and additional items will be required for program project needs. Individual instructors will provide specific materials lists.
See General Education Requirements for details.
|Course name||Credit Hours|
|TCM-131: Introduction to Telecommunication||3.00|
|TCM-132: Film History and Criticism||3.00|
|TCM-151: Digital Audio Editing||1.00|
|TCM-157: Digital Video Editing||1.00|
|TCM-241: Media Writing||3.00|
|TCM-243: Media Performance||3.00|
|TCM-251: Audio Production||3.00|
|TCM-257: Video Production I||3.00|
|TCM-261: Broadcast Journalism||3.00|
|TCM-189: WHFR Staff Training||1.00|
Complete additional 100-level, or higher, credits to complete this degree.