Pre-Elementary Education - Associate in Arts

Program Info

Year Established
Program Code
Degree Type
Associate in Arts
Office Contact
School of Health and Human Services: 313-845-9877,, Health Careers Education Ctr, Room: G-132
Faculty Contact
Carolyn Casale: 313-317-6580,, Health Careers Education Ctr, Room: G-133D

Program Description


Designed for students seeking teacher certification in Elementary Education. This degree focuses on teaching children in grades PK-6. Upon completion of this program students are eligible for work in various education and child care professions, however, transfer to and completion of a four-year university teacher preparation program is necessary for full teacher certification. When following university articulation guides, graduates pursuing a bachelor's degree should be able to transfer all of the required and elective coursework toward that degree.

Program Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:

  1. Apply current educational theories and practices to a classroom setting.
  2. Apply humanities concepts within the pre-kindergarten through middle school classroom.
  3. Apply knowledge of the physical, emotional, intellectual, and social development theories of the learner in a school setting.
  4. Apply knowledge of the exceptionalities, learning environments, and laws as they relate to special education programs.
  5. Develop lesson plans implementing educational software for grades PK-6.
  6. Analyze elementary and middle school mathematics at the level necessary for teaching.
  7. Construct scientific knowledge using inquiry-based techniques.
Career Opportunities

Pre-Elementary Education program graduates may seek employment in child development centers. They are also able to work as an au pair, tutors, para-professionals, assistant pre-school teachers, and before/after school program group leaders in a variety of educational settings. For those wishing to teach in PK-6 schools, completion of a four-year teacher preparation program with teacher certification is necessary.

This degree requires coursework that can be transferred to most four-year teacher preparation programs without loss of credit. The elective component of this program allows students to select courses that apply toward the bachelor's degree at their intended transfer institution. Students are encouraged to consult the university guide sheets in the University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center located in Learning Resources Center.

Admission Requirements

Additional Program Requirements

The law requires new teachers, school administrators, school psychologists, and other personnel to provide documentation of a completed criminal record check. Students who complete field experiences as part of their HFC coursework must provide a statewide criminal record check prior to working with children in public or non-public schools.

General Education

Category 6: Natural Sciences
Complete any one, lab-based course, from the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) list, from a different discipline (other than SCI).*
Credit Hours

See General Education for Transfer Degrees for details.

Program Requirements

Required Core Courses
Course Name Credit Hours
EDU-201: Introduction to Education 3.00
EDU-202: Introduction to Education Practicum 1.00
EDU-256: Educational Psychology 3.00
EDU-250: Humanities and Performing Arts for Educators 3.00
EDU-260: History in Elementary Schools 3.00
EDU-296: Exceptional Child 3.00
ENG-246: Introduction to Children's Literature 3.00
GEOG-132: World Regional Geography 3.00
MATH-122: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I 4.00
MATH-222: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II 4.00
CIS-221: Instructional Technology for Educators (Pre K-12) 3.00

Complete the required Natural Sciences courses within one of the following three pathways. Consultation with an academic advisor is recommended to determine the correct pathway.

  • Transferring to Wayne State University- Natural Science

    Students completing the Wayne State University Transfer pathway, complete the required Science course listed below.

  • Transferring to the University of Michigan Dearborn- Natural Science

    Students completing the University of Michigan- Dearborn Transfer pathway complete the required Science course listed below.

  • Transferring to Eastern Michigan University- Natural Science

    Students completing the Eastern Michigan University Transfer pathway complete the required Science course listed below.

Credit Hours: 37
  • *Natural Sciences and Electives: Consult your academic advisor, or transfer institution, for major/minor requirements. PHY-133 or CHEM-131 recommended for second Natural Sciences MTA course.
  • *Education Paraprofessional Certificate: Students also earn the Education Paraprofessional Certificate after completion of the following courses: PSY-131, ENG-131, ENG-132, ENG-246, CIS-221, EDU-250, EDU-296, and (SCI-212 or SCI-213).
Required Support Courses
Course Name Credit Hours
ENG-131: Introduction to College Writing 3.00
ENG-132: College Writing and Research 3.00
PSY-131: Introductory Psychology 3.00

Complete the recommended elective courses (10 credits). If you already have credits, such as MATH-110 or other course/s, that counts toward the 10 credits of electives. If you have not already satisfied your electives, then see the recommended list with the corresponding transfer institution. Consultation with an academic advisor is recommended to determine the correct pathway.

Credit Hours: 9

Electives: Any 100-level or higher transfer or HFC courses can be used as electives.

Recommended electives for University of Michigan Dearborn: CHEM-131, HPE-262, PHYS-133, POLS-131, PSY-152, SCI-212, SCI-213.

Recommended elective for Eastern Michigan University: SPC-131

Recommended electives for Wayne State University: See an academic advisor and university transfer advisor.

Elective Hours
Minimum Total Credit Hours
Requirements are subject to change. The information represented here is effective starting Fall 2024 and applies to the current catalog year. If you were admitted prior to this year, please check your requirements under the My Progress section of HFC Self Service.